We made the trip to Ogechie Lake at Kathio State Park to collect water level data from the pressure transducer we installed on June 25th. We were lucky enough to teamed up with the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe environmental department and others to make the trek in an 18 ft. long cedar canoe! You can see from the photos there is quite a bit of cattail competition along the perimeter of the stream bank, however we did observe small patches of wild rice beginning to emerge from the surface which you can see are starting to regress into open water in the channel. Unfortunately, a floating cattail bog downstream at Lake Onamia has elevated surface water levels and nearly flooded out our stream gauge. Moreover, the Mille Lacs environmental manager sent us before and after photos of the excavation of the floating cattail bog at the outlet of Lake Onamia. We expect the water levels to recede soon and hope to make another field trip to retrieve our data at Ogechie.
As a group, we did our first presentation at the St. Anthony Falls lab for the One Water summit! This was my first time ever presenting a poster to the public which was super exciting. I am glad to be working with all these wonderful people. We also had our first social on Wednesday, I hope to continue to have these fun little adventures with them.
I am still waiting on the culturing of my bacteria, so to keep me busy I will be working on a new project with ZhaaZhaa and Dan. From my data, we see that there are SRB in the microcosms. Now I am just going to take samples once a week and see if there is a change on a weekly basis.
I spent Monday through Friday this week at my desk on my computer working on developing a model of huckleberry productivity. It may not sound very fun or exciting, but data is my happy place. Here was my view for the week- a computer screen with MATLAB always open, Zar’s Biostatistical Analysis, a first iteration Menger sponge made out of Tony’s old business cards, and a framed picture of Team SPAW.
This week was pretty fun! I found a secret bookstore, hiding in Dinkytown. I graciously relieved them of a few books. Also, Team STREAM presented our preliminary research at the One Water Summit, held at the St. Anthony Falls Lab in Minneapolis on Tuesday. The second picture is Diana telling the crowd a little bit about our program, and there’s a great picture of us in front of our poster on LeAnn’s post!
On Wednesday, some of us went out for game night at a local brewery. So far, we’ve been schooled in “Egyptian Rat-Screw”, “B-S”, and the Panda game is still a crowd fave. I’m not sure what the next social event will be, but this was certainly one for the books! On my way to the bus stop a few days later, I saw Sally the Gopher, outside a bar and had to snap a pic, along with the pollinators’ paradises: the mural above Starbucks and the “M” on the St. Paul campus.
Finally, this week was my first two days in the chemistry lab, getting to be a master-pippetter so that I can start processing some field samples from Big Rice Lake (and hopefully others). The styro-foam tray is the one of the fruits of my labor. These little cuvettes go into a UV-Vis to test for phosphate levels in some 2017 field samples. Though I’m not looking specifically at phosphate, I was relieved that we got some reasonable readings off these little guys that someone else will be able to use. Now I’m excited to see what next week brings!
I’ve been continuing my fieldwork throughout the week — collecting and weighing berries — along with our bee and flower fieldwork. I also tried rhubarb for the first time straight from Tony’s garden, which an…interesting flavor.
A busy week of field work for the bee team! On Monday Sarah, Janene and I made some cute horse friends while looking for focal plants, and yesterday we got this killer view while doing one of our bee surveys.
I can’t help but fall in love with these lovely Montana mountains!!
This week of doing field work we came across some very friendly horse, many bees and beautiful views of flathead lake at one of our sites!